Category Archives:

Fire at the University of Maryland Extinguished

Media Contact: Mark Brady, Chief Spokesperson, 240-508-7930 At around 3:15 pm, Monday, January 16, 2012, firefighters were alerted to smoke in a educational building on the campus of the University of Maryland in College Park. Fire/EMS units arrived at the JM Patterson Building on Regents Driver and found a working fire in a second floor […]

Something Went Wrong in CHEM 242 Class

Entry Img

MEDIA CONTACT: Mark E. Brady, Chief Spokesperson, 240-508-7930 At about 12:30 pm today firefighters, paramedics, hazardous material units and University of Maryland (UMD) officials responded to a report of an explosion inside the Chemistry Building on the main campus in College Park. Firefighters from College Park Fire/EMS Station #812 were first alerted to investigate an […]

Haz-Mat Crews Alleviate Community Fears About Green Creek

Entry Img

MEDIA CONTACT: Mark E. Brady, Chief Spokesperson, 240-508-7930 Citizens and residents of University Park were startled to see a change in a waterway that traverses through the city. The color of the water in Wells Run Creek was an alarming fluorescent green. The Department’s Hazardous Materials team was dispatched and arrived on the scene at […]

All Clear Given at Day Care Center Haz Mat

Just before 12:30 pm, Thursday, February 24, 2011, fireifghters and the Department’s Hazardous Materials Team were dispatched to investigate a “chemical odor” with a sick person.  Fire/EMS/Haz Mat units responded to 310 Garrett A. Morgan Boulevard in Landover, a commercially run daycare center in a building shared by County and METRO employees. According to Fire/EMS […]

Haz-Mat Team Mitigates Chemical Leak

At about 12:15 am, Tuesday, February 8, 2011, Prince George’s County Firefighters, Paramedics and the Hazardous Materials Team were alerted to a chemical leak. A pipe leading to/from a 100 gallon container of ANHYDROUS AMMONIA had developed a leak. One hundred employees of the Smithfield Packing Company warehouse at 5801 Columbia Park Road in Cheverly […]

NASA – We Have No Haz-Mat Problem

At about 5:30 pm, Tuesday, July 13, 2010, officials from NASA in Greenbelt, MD, requested the assistance of the Prince George’s County Fire/EMS Department. A strange odor and a possible illness in an administrative office of Building #22 at NASA, which also houses radiation labs on the bottom floors, prompted a full-fledged hazardous materials response. […]

2-Alarm Beltsville Warehouse Fire with Explosions

Entry Img

MEDIA CONTACT: Mark E. Brady, Chief Spokesperson, 240-508-7930 Firefighters encountered more then heavy smoke and fire at a Beltsville warehouse fire. Fire/EMS units were dispatched to Precision Cycle Works, 11323 Old Baltimore Pike, Beltsville, Maryland, for 911 reports of an explosion and fire at about 1:45 PM, Thursday, April 8, 2010. First arriving firefighters from […]